Thursday, 24 November 2011

Letter to my local MP about illiberal anti-LBGT law in Russia


Mark Pawsey MP
House of Commons
London, SW1A 0AA

Dear Mr Pawsey,

I have just added my voice to a campaign run by human rights activists in Russia who are campaigning about a law being introduced by President Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin's party that would make any mention of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender issues illegal. 

The bill would criminalise any book, article or speech about sexual identity and gender orientation, labeling it "homosexual propaganda". This is outrageous and totally incompatible with genuine notions of liberal democracy. 

I would greatly appreciate your views on this matter and to know if you will raise this issue with the Foreign Office. I hope that the British Government is making the strongest possible representations to the Russian Government about this appallingly illiberal policy. I hope you agree with me that every effort must be made to oppose discrimination against gay, lesbian, bi and transgender people, both here and abroad.

You can find out more about this issue at allout.org/russia_silenced.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this issue.

Yours sincerely,
John Slinger
Rugby


PS you do not need to reply in the post. An email would suffice and would save paper and your office their time. However, I would appreciate a copy of any reply you obtain from the Foreign Office (by email).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.