Thursday, 14 February 2013

My letter in local paper challenging Rugby's Tory MP Mark Pawsey to explain vote against Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill

Published in the Rugby Obvserver. Read online here.

Sir,

I was disappointed that Rugby MP Mark Pawsey voted against the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill. He was good enough to respond to me on Twitter when I asked him why he had done so. He replied that he took the same stance as 22 Labour MPs and that Labour MP Rob Flello's speech during the debate in the House of Commons summed up his thoughts. Despite being a Labour activist, I also disagree with those 22 Labour MPs. I hope Mr Pawsey will give a fuller explanation of his vote on this important moral issue in due course. 

It is rare for me to do this, but I must concede that the Prime Minister is to be commended on having fought for this progressive measure, which will, at long last, afford dignity and equal rights to gay people regarding marriage. It is unfortunate that Mr Pawsey wasn't able to support his leader, the Leader of the Labour Party, other politicians and the majority of the British public.

Yours faithfully,

John Slinger
Rugby




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.