Friday, 24 May 2013

My Rugby Obvserver letter: Warwickshire Fire & Rescue school pamphlet doesn't provide female role-models & stereotypes women

Dear Sir,

Stereotypical

I was delighted to see that Warwickshire Firefighters had visited my daughter's school and that she had filled out the activity book they provided. However my delight turned to concern as it dawned on me that none of photos in the book depicted female firefighters. It is important that my young daughter and her classmates are shown, at every opportunity, that women can thrive in all manner of jobs, including serving as firefighters. My concern was deepened when I noticed that the colouring-in scene on the back of the workbook delpicted an apron-wearing housewife in her kitchen. It is important that Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service and Warwickshire County Council, which published the workbook, take more effort in future to challenge, not reinforce gender stereotypes.

Yours faithfully,

John Slinger


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.